The National Library of Estonia has two entrance doors – one you may find in Tallinn at Tõnismägi 2, the other one, www.nlib.ee, you have just opened.
Both of them support the National Library’s functions to be:
- a national library, collecting, storing and making publicly accessible documents published in Estonia or about Estonia, registering Estonian national bibliography and print output statistics and assigning international standard numbers;
- a parliamentary library, providing information services for the Riigikogu and other constitutional institutions;
- a research library, providing information for research activities in the humanities and social sciences and various information services;
- a library research and development centre, coordinating standardisation, organising professional training, contributing to terminology issues;
- a cultural centre where various exhibitions are held, along with performances and other activities.
Our mission is to increase in society the initiative, awareness and responsibility based on knowledge and information, to foster common European values, culture, democracy, and statehood.
We value innovation, user orientations, cooperation, cultural heritage and national memory, and reliability.
Our vision is to be a renowned and internationally recognised information and memory institution in preserving the Estonian national culture, providing information necessary for governing the state, and developing society.
The essence of the National Library of Estonia is captured in our slogan:
Storing knowledge to share it with you.
Director General, National Library of Estonia
The Book Return Box