You can borrow:
- books, serials and printed music from the basic collection in the stacks, except for publications issued before 1946, legal deposit copies (marked with S in the online catalogue), reference books, dictionaries and items in poor condition
- items from the open access information science collection, and from German, Austrian and Swiss Reading Rooms
- foreign-language publications issued outside Estonia later than 1946, from the open access collections in other reading rooms (except the Rare Books and Archives Reading Room)
- 30 days for books and serials (14 days for high demand items)
- 3 months for printed music
- 7 days for journals and 30 days for books in open access information science collection. 7 days for journals and 14 days for books in German, Austrian and Swiss Reading Rooms
- 3 working days for foreign-language publications issued outside Estonia later than 1946 in the open access collections of other reading rooms. These publications cannot be renewed.
The right to check out publications is given to library registered users, for exercising this right users aged 16 or 17 need the consent of the parent/guardian.
You can check out up to 5 books and 5 printed music pieces.
Items that cannot be borrowed are marked as FOR USE IN LIBRARY in the online catalogue ESTER.
Items stored in the stacks can be ordered to any reading room or the central circulation desk (waiting time is 15 minutes) where they will be held in your name for 3 working days. The acceptance of requests for items from the stacks for the same day will be closed 30 minutes before closing the Library.
You can order items and renew the due date:
- via online catalogue ESTER
- via Request from a reference librarian and Renew the due date
- by e-mail or phone:
- books and serials tellimispunkt at nlib dot ee, tel 630 7100
- printed music muusika at nlib dot ee, tel 630 7141
To read items in high demand, you need to place a hold on the desired item:
- for books and serials in Reference Reading Room on floor 5, email tellimispunkt at nlib dot ee
- for printed music in Music Reading Room, email muusika at nlib dot ee
The due date will not be renewed if
- the item is in demand
- the due date has passed
- you have unsettled debts to the library.
You can return borrowed items to:
- Information and Registration Desk in the foyer,
- Reference Reading Room on floor 5
- Book return box through Endla St 3 entrance Mon-Sun 7.00-22.00, i.e accessible during the hours when Library is closed
Failure to return items by due date
If you fail to return an item by due date, you have to pay the fine in the amount of EUR 0,32 per each day overdue for each item in accordance with the Rues for Users of the National Library of Estonia.
Damaged or lost item
If you have damaged or lost an item, please notify the library by email or phone:
- Books and serials tellimispunkt at nlib dot ee, tel. 630 7100
- Printed music muusika at nlib dot ee, tel. 630 7141
The item must be replaced with the same item. If replacement is not possible, you have to compensate for its cost as determined by the library.